Sustainable Salting: Improving Service and Saving Money
- Practicing sustainable salting can help businesses improve service, save money, and achieve responsible use and maximum efficiency.
- Sustainable salting involves using different strategies such as pre-wetting, anti-icing, and calibrated application rates.
- Pre-wetting salt with liquid de-icing agents helps it adhere to the road surface and reduces bounce and scatter.
- Anti-icing involves applying a liquid de-icer before snowfall, which prevents ice from bonding to the surface.
- Calibrated application rates ensure the right amount of salt is applied for effective de-icing without wastage.
- Training staff on proper salting techniques and equipment maintenance is essential for sustainable salting practices.
- Regular monitoring and adjustment of salt usage based on weather conditions and traffic volume can further optimize efficiency.
- Benefits of sustainable salting include improved road safety, reduced environmental impact, lower salt procurement costs, and minimized infrastructure damage.
By adopting sustainable salting practices, businesses can not only improve their service during winter conditions but also save money and contribute to environmental conservation. Implementing strategies such as pre-wetting, anti-icing, and calibrated application rates, along with proper training and monitoring, can lead to responsible salt usage and maximum efficiency. The benefits, including improved road safety and reduced costs, make sustainable salting a win-win solution for businesses and the environment.